I know I just posted an article that told you homeschooling was not the be-all end-all for Christian parents, and it’s not. But I so enjoyed our homeschooling experience that I encourage anyone who is somewhat interested to give it a try. Here are my top ten reasons for choosing homeschool over public school:
- You want to spend time with your kids instead of shipping them off to spend all day with Miss Knickerbocker at Puddleglum Elementary and then watching them disappear into their rooms to do homework until bedtime.
- You want more opportunity to shape your children into people with whom you like to spend time.
- You want to impart to your children your values instead of the ones the government picks for you.
- You want the joy of watching your kids learn and discover new and exciting ideas.
- You want your kids to enjoy learning as much as you enjoy relearning all that information that seemed to be such a bore back in grade school, such as the fourth grade math that so befuddled you back then but now this time makes sense.
- You want to keep them away from the “history is boring” crowd that will discourage your kids from enjoying subjects that are in fact a lot of fun.
- You enjoy going on vacation when it’s convenient for your family, and you enjoy going with the children to museums when they aren’t so crowded (just beware the public school field trip hours).
- You want your kids to learn in ways that work best for them, not the way that works best for the least-motivated kids in the classroom.
- You like the idea of the world as a classroom and want your kids to learn by doing.
- You want your kids to volunteer and attend lectures and go to conferences and do all sorts of things that are out of reach in a public school environment.
But most of all, the joy is in getting all the goody out of the time you have with your kids.