This post is really “how much does it cost me to blog.” Here are my costs so far to start the Poor Potsherd website. I just finished signing up with the Amazon Affiliate program, so I hope I can start recouping some of these costs.
- Cost for domain name for the year $12
- Cost for domain privacy for the year $12
- Cost for webhosting for the year by BlueHost $36
- SiteLock plus Vault Press for this first year (for backup and site security) (special deal) $24
- Aksimet Plugin Professional (this is to control spam for the year ) $60
- Genesis Framework and Theme (one time cost) $100
- P.O. Box for Mail Chimp RSS Feed updates emails for three months $30
This last cost was unexpected. As I mentioned here, you have to have a mailing address in order to send out automatic emails. I decided I didn’t want my home address going out in these emails, so I got a paid mailbox and that just for three months. I wanted a chance to think some more about it before committing for the whole year. I don’t expect any snail mail, but I have to have a place to receive mail.
So I am in this for $274 (not counting the costs for starting the Texas History on Location site) and no income as of yet.
You know who really makes money from blogging? People that supply bloggers. Picks and shovels, as they say, are the road to riches, not panning for gold. But I have already bought my pan and my picks and my shovels, so I might as well give blog mining a try.